Building owners can use various exertions of roof coating to eliminate roof leaks and protect the roof against the elements and physical ware. Studies have shown roof coatings can add up to 20 or more years of active service to the roof. The coatings act by lowering the roof temperatures, which can curtail the energy cost. The extended lifespan will also reduce the amount of roofing materials that goes into the landfills. Lastly, choosing the right coating and having it properly installed will improve the overall aesthetics of the building.
The choice of coating will depend on factors like weather and the locking substrates. A well-rested roofing membrane will adhere to the surface and expand as needed, depending on the weather and physical pressures. It is important to note that the thickness of the paint film will vary based on the underlying roof system or composite membrane. The three main components of the roof coating are the top coat, base coat and primer. The top most layer acts as a vital protection against elements, i.e. hail storm, rain, physical pressure and Ultraviolet and Infrared from the sun.
The weather is arguably the most critical factor to consider when it comes to the choice of roof coating. According to Trip Savvy, the weather in South Florida places is generally warm and fairly humid. If you live in Miami and the Florida Keys areas, expect average high and low temperatures of between 83F to 69F. The average rainfall here stands at 59 inches. During the rainy seasons, South Florida experiences high instances of thunderstorms and lightning. The hurricane season runs from June to November while the tornadoes usually peak around April and May.
Because of the weather, a good coating should come with warranty on issues like water ponding. If you have a large roof with water ponding problems and leaks, a professional roofing expert should be called in to help. For a small roof, a do-it-yourself approach will suffice. Some of the tools needed in coating application include: high pressure airless spray equipment, roof repair equipment, pressure washers and painting tools like rollers and brushes. The roofing coatings are broadly divided into three classes; water based coatings, solvent coatings and 100% solids.
The solvent based coatings use organic solvent carriers while water based roofing coatings use water as a carrier. When buying a roof coating you need pay serious consideration to the coating’s performance and limitations. The Roof Coatings Manufacturers Association (RCMA) brings together the manufacturers and suppliers of reflective roof coatings. The entity is focused on promoting the benefits of roof coating, spelling the building codes and setting quality standards. Below are four most widely used reflective roof coatings in South Florida:
1. Acrylic roof coating
This type of roofing is preferred by many homeowners because it is cheaper and easy to install. The water based roof coating is made from durable acrylic polymers, which makes it strong and highly protective against the effects of the Ultraviolet rays and associated damage. This protection can minimize the wear and tear of the roof. Another advantage of applying the acrylic roof coating is the cooling and reflective effect. The impression helps keep the building cool under the fierce Florida summer. If you are looking for durable roof protection, but are working on a tight budget, the acrylic roof coating is an ideal choice.
• Made using environment friendly, organic materials
• Cost effective solution for a wide variety of roofs
• Easy to apply using sprayer and roller
• High reflective and UV resistant
• Poor chemical resistance
• Cannot be applied under imminent rain
• Lose thickness under extreme weathering. Must be applied at 50F or higher temperatures
• Unstable when exposed to extended water ponding conditions
• Most manufacturers do not offer water ponding warranty on acrylic roof coating
2. Asphalt emulsion roof coating
This popular roof coating is made from long-lasting emulsified asphalt. The ingrained organic and inorganic properties in the asphalt emulsion roof coating make it one of the most durable and desired roofing coatings. The waterproofing attributes in asphalt emulsion coating comes from the bentonite clay emulsifying agent and the water dispersed properties in asphalt.
• Sturdy and durable with waterproofing properties
• Wide range of colors and mixes well with metal pigmentation to enhance reflectivity
• Easy to apply
• Inexpensive compared to other reflective roof coatings
• Asphalt roof sealant is difficult to apply during cold days
• The coatings can produce small cracks when temperatures fall dramatically
3. Silicone roof coating
If you own a residential home, you may consider using the silicone roof coating. The moisture resistant coating is aptly designed to provide durable and resilient cover against the hurricanes, rains, wind and debris. If you are conscious about saving the environment, silicone based roof coating is made from eco-friendly natural materials. The amount of silicone coating to be applied on the roof will depend on the underlying substrate.
The application process is fairly simple as it can be done via spraying and rolling. Homeowners can choose from a wide array of colors depending on individual taste or expert advice. The other benefits of choosing silicone roofing coatings include the ability to repel ponding water for lengthy periods and adherence to most substrates found in South Florida. In case of the later, you do not need a primer to apply the coating.
• Proven longevity and performance
• Totally adherence with excellent wind resistance capabilities
• Exceptional expansion and contraction capabilities
• Energy Star roofing system offering proper insulation and environmental benefits
• LEED credit qualification
• Ability to overcome incidental water ponding
• Liquid cured coating that can conquer extreme temperatures
• Excellent chemical resistance properties
• Holds dirt but washes under rain, which diminishes the reflectivity quotient
• The resistance to tearing can lead to undesirable mechanical weakness
4. Polyurethane roofing coatings
Polyurethane is highly resistant and can withstand traffic very well. The other advantage of using the Polyurethane roof is better adapted to water ponding conditions. This type of roof coating is sold as either aliphatic or aromatic roof coating. In terms of cost, the aliphatic coating is costlier compared to the aromatic coating. The high cost is largely attributed to better UV stability. The Aromatic coatings are mostly used as base coating.
• Urethane roofs are durable and resistant to water ponding
• Aromatic coating variant is inexpensive compared to other coatings
• Aliphatic coatings are UV stable, cleaner and better at retaining color
• Aromatic coatings are not UV stable and work best as base coating
• The Polyurethane coating are costlier than acrylic coatings
• The Urethane coatings usually emit strong odors
Call Your Local Roof Cleaning Experts!
Roofing experts believe a good coating can go a long way to minimize building maintenance and repair cost. Roof cleaning service is a critical component of maintenance. The pressure cleaning experts at Kleanway Pressure Cleaning have 15 years of experience in the cleaning industry. The company holds a BBB+ rating and is proud to provide high quality service.
The full service covers residential, HOA communities and commercial property cleaning in South Florida and surrounding areas. The other areas include warehouses, roofs and driveways. The company staffs are aptly trained to use advanced cleaning equipment’s and techniques. If you need roof cleaning services in Miami or the Florida keys, simply call Kleanway Pressure Cleaning offices.